Chemical vs Enzyme Peels, what’s right for you?
A chemical peel exfoliates or peels off dead skin AND living skin cells. PEELS OFF skin. Working beyond the outer layer of skin and into the deeper layer, the dermis. Chemical peels are made of chemical compounds varying from degrees from superficial the (alpha hydroxy acids) to deep peels (trichloroacetic acid & phenol acid). Deep peels can only be done once…think Samantha from Sex & the City. Two to three weeks to heal scaling, swelling, or blisters may occur before the skin starts to rejuvenate again. Smoother, less wrinkles will reveal in the face.
An enzyme peel is a bit gentler on the skin. Enzymes pull away or peels ONLY dead skin cells. Loosens the outer layer of skin on the epidermis and binds to this skin and sloughs off. Enzyme peels are good for all skin types. Depending on sensitivities will depend on the enzyme needed. Enzymes are natural compounds, easier on the skin. There will be no hiding in the dark after an enzyme peel.
Natural enzymes are mostly found in fruits. Pumpkins, bromelain from pineapple, papaya, blueberries, and even japanese mushrooms are enzyme examples.
Chemical peels can be alpha hydroxy acids, lactic acids (sour milk), glycolic acids (sugar cane), malic acids (apples), trichloroacetic acid (vinegar) and salicylic acid (strawberries & wintergreen). Both peels turn over the facial cells improving the overall texture and appearance.
“Wrinkles should merely indicate where smiles have been.” -Mark Twain
- Chemical Peels – regenerate healthier, radiant skin. Improves the elasticity and collagen to decrease wrinkles. Evens out hyper pigmentation and sun spots.
- Enzyme Peels – soften and smooths the skin. Making the skin appear bright, youthful, radiant. Enzyme peels are also great primers for serums to penetrate deeper into the skin seeing positive benefits quicker.
Talk to your facialist or esthetician and decide what is right for you. If you are still at a loss here are some of my at home favorite peels.
- Perfectly Posh’s Pineapple Pick-Me-Up exfoliating fruit enzyme face mask Pineapple Pick-Me-Up: Loaded with fruit (pineapple & papaya) enzymes, acai and mangosteen extracts. Goes on clear, leave on for a five minute savasana, breathing sweet, and rinse with warm water, apply your favorite face toner. YES!
- DIY facial: Organic pineapples blended up with plain yogurt gently apply to face and leave on for 5 to 10 minutes. Enjoy some fresh water or a glass of wine, then rinse and viola. Use a moisturizer to follow.
- Eminence’s Bright Skin Licorice Root Exfoliating Peel Pads. This comes with organic cotton pads, a textured side and smooth for the face.
As an esthetician, my favorite professional peels to give give during a treatment are:
- Eminence’s Blueberry Detox Firming Peel in the Seven Circuit Eminence Facial at Evensong Spa
- Aveda’s Perfecting Plant Peel Salon Mode & Daydreams Spa
be you. be kind. breathe sweet.